- Working Facilities
- Future Plans
- Research Activities
- Research Projects
- Research Publications
Department of Allied Health Sciences at University of Health Sciences Lahore was created in response to the growing need for healthcare professionals and services in the country. This department offers two years masters (M.Sc.) Medical Laboratory Technology course. Medical Laboratory Technologists are professionals who have the technical expertise necessary to perform a wide variety of routine and specialized tests on patient specimens to help the physician in the diagnosis and treatment of disease. The aim of this course is to produce health care professionals equipped with the advanced knowledge and skills to perform competently in a medical laboratory in all areas of laboratory diagnosis.
|Dr. Nasir Mahmood
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
To provide advanced and specialized training to students in all the specialties of laboratory medicine
To provide the students a capacity to recognize the clinical significance of the test they perform, and evaluate the reliability of the results by obtaining satisfactory quality control results
To enable students to report results accurately using verbal and written means, recognizing the necessity to draw attention to abnormal values
To train students in the operation of laboratory instruments and able to recognize failures and take appropriate actions
To train the students in biomedical research methodology, search for biomedical science literature, interpretation of research data and in the written and oral presentation of scientific research.
To motivate the students pursue further training in their choose specialty of clinical laboratory sciences or in biomedical research
The Department of Allied Health science is equipped with state of the art equipments for training of the students.
The lab has facility of Sysmex XS 1000i, semi automated and fully automated chemistry analyzers, fully automated random access hormone analyzer, ELISA, Automatic karyotyping system, atomic absorption, spectrophotometer and PCR.
It is the mission of the MSc MLT program at the department of Allied Health Sciences,
to help students develop advance knowledge, skill, attitude and clinical judgment required for
competency as medical laboratory technologists and laboratory scientists. This program will prepare
the student to independently perform wide array of more specialized and complex clinical tests
in Histopathology, Haematology, Microbiology, Immunology, Chemical Pathology, Cytogenetics and Molecular
Genetics diagnostic laboratories. The program strives to prepare graduates who, using the newest methodologies,
state of the art automated analyzers, critical thinking and task management, provide valid, accurate and precise
test results used in the detection, diagnosis and treatment of the diseases.
Research Projects (Completed & Ongoing)
Students Research Projects (Completed)
Following research projects have been completed at Department of Allied Health Sciences.
- Lead Exposure in Children Living around Automobile and Battery Repair Workshop. (Mr. Tanveer Ahmed)
- Assessment of Thyroid Dysfunction in Down Syndrome Patients. (Ms Nadia Rasheed)
- Biochemical Evaluation of Erectile Dysfunction in Patients on Dialysis. (Mr. Shabbir Hussain)
- Significance of Homocysteine in Patients of Dialysis (Mr. Muhammad Bilal).
- Frequency of Carbapenemases in Enterobacteriaceae Isolated from Diagnosed Cases of Nosocomial Blood Stream Infections (Mr. Muhammad Yasir).
- Frequency of Extended Spectrum Beta Lactamase Enzymes in Clinical Isolates of Enterobacteriaceae (Mr. Muhammad Arshad).
- Anti-Typhoid Activity of Gatifloxacin as Compared to Other Anti Typhoid Fluroquinolones Marketed in Pakistan(Mr. Muhammad Ikram Ullah).
- Evaluation of Antimycobacterial Activity of Allium Sativum (Garlic Oil) Against 50 Strains of MDR-TB. (Mr. Faisal Nadeem)
- Comparison of Conventional Most Probable Number (MPN) With Standard Membrane Filtration Technique for the Bacteriological Analysis of Drinking Water. (Mr. Muhammad Absar)
- Level of Interferon Gamma in Blood of T.B and non T.B patients. (Mr Shahid Hussain)
- CD4 and CD8 Ratio in Pleural Effusion of T.B and non T.B patients. (Mr Khursheed Javaid)
- Evaluation of Platelet Dysfunction in Relation to Hematocrit in Patients with Uremia (Mr. Muhammad Mahtab Aslam)
- Levels of Antiphopholipid Antibodies in Female with Recurrent Abortions (Ms. Amber Illyas)
- Prevelance, Biotyping and Susceptibility Pattern of Coagulase Negative Staphylococci Isolated from cases of Neonatal Septicaemia in a Tertiary Care Hospital (Mr. M. Usman Qamar)
- In Vitro Antibacterial Activity of Crude Leaf Extract of Mango (Mangifera Indica ) on Salmonella Typhi (Ms. Samara Asghar)
- Bacteriological Status of Drinking Water from 100 Families of Lahore by Membrane Filtration Technique (Ms. Sidra Shan)
- Susceptibility Pattern Of Clinical Isolates of Salmonella Typhi against Ethanolic Extract of Garlic (Ms. Kanwal Rauf)
- Metallo Beta Lactamase Producing Pseudomonas Aeruginosa Potent Enemy (Ms. Syeda Aneela)
- Comparison of Cation Exchange HPLC with Boronate Affinity Chromatography for Determination of HbA1c (Ms. Farzana Yasmeen)
- Comparison of Alpha Fetoprotein in Hepatitis C Positive Patients of Liver Cirrhosis with and without Hepatocellular Carcinoma (Ms. Samra Shaukat)
- Assessment of Aluminium, Zinc and Copper in Dialysis Patients (Ms. Sumaira Farooqi)
- Assessment of Zinc and Copper in Nephrotic Syndrome (Ms. Sundas Fatima)
- Comparison of Different Methods for GFR Calculation in Pre-Dialysis Patients (Mr. Muhammad Waqas Anjum)
- Frequency of Anti Netrophil Cytoplasmic Antibody and Anti Glomerular Basement Membrane Antibody in Glomerlonephritis Patients (Ms. Maria Arif)
- Determination of Rheumatoid Factor and Anti-Cyclic Citrullinated Peptide Antibodies in Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients (Ms. Sarah Karim)
- Determination of CRP and IL-6 in HCV positive and HCV Negative Patients of Chronic Renal Failure on Dialysis (Mr. Sarwar Abbas)
- Antifungal Activity of Various Natural Products against Candida Species In Vitro.
- Association of Serum Levels of Zinc and Magnesium with Increased Levels of Glycated Hemoglobin in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (Ms Fakhar-un-Nissa)
- Assessment of Thyroid Dysfunction in Children with Celiac Disease (Mr. Tauqeer Ali Butt)
- Phenotype and Genotype Characterization of Eunuchs in Lahore (Mr. Mustafa Ahmad Munawar)
- Knowledge and Attitude Regarding Quality Assurance and its Association with Practice among Medical Lab Technologists working in Laboratories of Lahore (Ms. Kanwal Azhar)
- Correlation of Glycated Hemoglobin with Zinc and Magnesium Levels in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (Mr. Muhammad Atif)
Students Research Projects (In Progress)
- Ghrelin Levels in Obese Children of Type 2 Diabetic Parents and its Correlation
with Risk Parameters of Metabolic Syndrome ( Dr. Fauzia Sadiq)
- Reference Ranges of Trace Elements (Fe, Zn & Cu) in Adult Population (20- 29 years) of Lahore (Dr. Warda Hussain)
- Circadian Clock Gene “Per2” Mutations in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (Mr. Hafeez Ullah)
- Mucin Histochemistry in Tumors of Colon, Ovaries and Lung (Mr. Usman Ali)
- Role of Serum Transferrin Receptors in Assessing Iron Status in Different
Disease Stages of Non - Hodgkin’s lymphoma Patients ( Mr. Jawaz Raza)
- Relationship Between the Susceptibility of Typhoidal Salmonellae to Ciprofloxcin,
Ofloxacin and their Respective Susceptibility to Nalidixic Acid (Ms. Nabila)
- Exploitation of Standard Modified Hodge Test for the Detection of Extended
Spectrum Beta Lactamase Production ( Ms. Sehrish Kanwal)
- A Comparative Study of Antimycobacterial Activity of Honey by Proportion
Method and Mycobacterium Growth Indicator Tube (Ms. Saira Munir)
- Determination of Anti Thyroid Antibodies in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
Patients (Ms. Muqaddas Riaz)
- Association of Serum Ascites Albumin Gradient (SAAG) with Causes of Ascites
in Hemodialysis Patients (Ms. Hina Mohiuddin)
- Correlation of Parathyroid Hormone and Magnesium with Vitamin D Deficiency
(Ms. Sana Qayyum Khan)
- Mahmood S, Ahmad W, Hassan MJ. Autosomal recessive primary microcephaly (MCPH): clinical manifestations, genetic heterogeneity and mutation continuum. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2011 Jun 13;6:39.
- Ali A, Babar M E, Mahmood S, Imran M, First report of GTG-banded nomenclature of Pakistani Lohi sheep (Ovis aries) Turk. J. Vet. Anim. Sci. 2011; 35(1): doi:10.3906/vet-0802-26
- Mahmood S, Beetz C, Tahir MM, Imran M, Mumtaz R, Bassmann I, Jahic A, Malik M, Nürnberg G, Ali Hassan SA, Rana S, Nürnberg P, Huebner CA. First HPSE2 missense mutation in Urofacial Syndrome.Clin Genet. 2011, Feb 17. doi: 10.1111/j.1399-0004.2011.01649.x.
- Khokher S, Mahmood S, Khan SA. Response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in patients with advanced breast cancer: a local hospital experience.Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2010;11(2):303-8.
- Sajid N, Ahmed N, Mahmood S. Clinicopathological features of transient myeloproliferative syndrome and congenital leukaemia. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2010 Sep;20(9):576-80.
- Rana S, Mahmood S, Circadian rhythm and its role in malignancy J Circadian Rhythms. 2010 Mar 31;8:3.
- Asim Mumtaz, Nadeem Afzal, Waqas Sami, Romeeza Tahir, Khursheed Javeed, Saqib Mahmood Evaluation of four ELISA based immunoassays for the detection of IgM antibodies against Dengue virus Biomedica Jan – Jun 2010; 26: 54-57
- Nadia Rashid, Asim Mumtaz, Saqib Mahmood, Nadeem Afzal, Salma Haq, Tanveer Ahmad. Assessment of Thyroid Dysfunction in Down Syndrome Patients Pak Paed J Dec 2009;33(4):211-7
- Hassan MJ, Mahmood S, Ali G, Bibi N, Waheed I, Rafiq MA, Ansar M, Ahmad W. Intragenic deletions in the dystrophin gene in 211 Pakistani Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Patients Pediatrics International (2008) 50, 162–166
- Mahfoozur Rehman, Abid Ali Qureshi, Quratul Ain, Saqib Mahmood, MRI findings of Pituitary Gland in Beta Thalassaemia Major Patients Pak Paed J 2007;31(3):137-41
- Gul A, Hassan MJ, Mahmood S, Chen W, Rahmani S, Naseer MI, Dellefave L, Muhammad N, Rafiq MA, Ansar M, Chishti MS, Ali G, Siddique T, Ahmad W. Genetic studies of Autosomal Recessive Primary Microcephaly in 33 Pakistani families: novel sequence variants in ASPM gene. Neurogenetics (2006) May;7(2):105-10
- Rafiq MA, Ansar M, Mahmood S, Haque S, Faiyaz-ul-Haque M, Leal SM, Ahmad W.A Recurrent Intragenic Deletion Mutation in DSG4 gene in Three Pakistani Families with Autosomal Recessive Hypotrichosis” J Invest Dermatol. (2004) Jul;123(1):247-8
Ms Nadia Rasheed (MSc MLT) Lab. Manager / Teaching Research Fellow
Mr Zeeshan Ashraf Assistant Staff Officer