University of Health Sciences Lahore offers Postgraduate courses in Basic Medical Sciences leading to M.Phil and Ph.D degrees. The courses in Anatomy are designed to train the participants to meet with the major goals of the courses i.e. and at the end of the courses its participant (a) are confident and independent Researchers (b) have developed sufficient communication skills and other attributes needed for being a good teachers and (c) are able to provide a strong leadership in the fields of Research and Medical Education. It is hoped that this will to go a long way to foster Medical Education of relatively high quality, with strong hand on experience and necessary skills to initiate and carry out research of internationally acceptable standard. In this respect, UHS is establishing contacts with renowned foreign universities (such as the University of Texas, USA and Universities of Manchester, Middlesex and Liverpool in U.K) for mutually beneficial cooperation in terms of faculty/students exchange for Teaching and Research activities.
- Anatomy Department is currently running full time Course of two years for M.Phil in Anatomy; the course work covers all segments of the subject i.e.: Microscopic Anatomy, Gross Anatomy, Neuroanatomy and Embryology. The subject is taught by interactive lectures with full participation of the students
The course in Microscopic Anatomy is designed to impart an in depth information to the students on general and systemic Histology with emphasis on fine structure of tissues and organs and their relationship to the functions.
The course in Embryology deals with general and special Embryology with particular emphasis on growth and differentiation of blastomeres in different lineage and directions of development. It also deals with detailed study of normal process of organogenesis and it deviation which results in producing different types of congenital abnormalities. The details of the factors, genetic and environmental, which conduce development of congenital abnormalities, are also studied in details. A conceptual understanding of regulating gene is also given.
- The course in Gross, Systemic and Regional Anatomy, is studied in depth with conceptual understanding, particular emphasis is laid on its relevant application in clinical fields.
- Neuroanatomy covers the detailed morphological characteristics of Forebrain, Midbrain, Hind brain and Spinal Cord; these are studied in different sectional profiles. Recognition of different components and their functions are also streamlined in detail, including Autonomic Nervous System.
- Mechanism of control of different functional modalities through Neurotransmitter is also studied.
- The course work on Major subject of anatomy is reinforced by students opting for relevant Learning/Teaching Modules from among the list of the elective Minors; the choice of their selection shall be directly related to the Research Work.
- Theoretical courses are reinforced by practicals classes relevant to the lectures which precede these; the lectures are interactive with the aim that the students learned the subject with active participation and develop proficiency of oral communication and expertise in preparing lecture presentation. To ensure full and active participation of the students, they are given the assignment of preparing lecture presentation and task is assigned at the last movement with the aim to foster the Trainees into competent teachers of all segments of the program.
- During the 1st five or six month of the program, the students are directed to intensively undertake literature search in order to discover their research interests and complete writing their synopses; this is then submitted for usual approval from Advance Studies & Research Board.
- It is desired that the research design is doable within the stipulated period of time given to them; the students may be required to run the pilot project to identify the problem areas of their research projects in order to run the main work smoothly.
- The Thesis is completed before the end of 2nd year of the courses and is submitted for evaluation to assessors, one from outside Pakistan and two from within the country. Upon approval of the work by the assessors, the student is required to correct the Thesis to comply with the observation of the evaluators before it is submitted to the panel of examiners. The date of defense of the Thesis before public and panel of examiners comprising two internal examiners.
- The students are regularly subjected to formative in House test in all segments of the courses and upon receiving the results the students are counseled by their respective teacher so that they can identify the gaps of information and bridge these in light of the instructions given by their respective teachers; this also applies to both the minor subjects taught in different years.
- At the end of the M.Phil program, the bright and deserving candidate may later opt to join the Ph.D. program after following the usual procedure prescribed for admission to the course by the Higher Education Commission. After qualifying GRE examination the candidates shall undergo or shall complete 18 credit hours course work and clear it. The Ph.D students will also undertake extensive literature search to select the topic of research which should, prima facie, be worth equal to the standard of the program. The work shall be evaluated after its completion by a team of highly qualified and reputed teachers/researchers in the field; these will include at least two examiners from technically advanced countries and a comparable number from with in Pakistan; the candidate shall be considered to be successful only on successfully defending the work before a panel of examiners and subsequent approval by the Senate of the University of Health Sciences.
- The M.Phil program will be full time, in house training course with Lectures, Tutorials, Demonstrations, Journal Club Meetings, Presentations and participation in Seminars. The candidate will be subjected to continuous formative evaluation and their progress and attendance will be regularly monitored. The services of National and International examiners will be utilized for final evaluation of the candidates and their research works.
The department is equipped with high quality Cryostat, Microscopes, Microtome, Tissue processor, Incubators, Water baths, full collection of Histology teaching slides, Anatomical Models and other teaching aids. The department possesses a good-sized departmental library. The students are trained in 'Prosection' to help them in developing expertise in dissection of cadavers and preparation of museum specimen.
- We plan to admit 2 to 4 suitable candidates each year for the Ph.D and admissible number of candidates for M.Phil programs (5 to 8). Human resource development is given a top priority both in the fields of Research and Teaching expertise. It is also planned to build up the departmental library and acquire more teaching models and other supporting educational materials and research equipment.
- Some of the Ph.D/M.Phil courses will be taught in collaboration with other departments and subject experts available in UHS as well as invited as visiting faculty from other institutions.
- The faculty will also participate in teaching of M.Sc/M.Phil students in Medical Bio Technology and B.Sc Nursing programs. It is proposed to produce not only well qualified, experienced and research oriented teachers in Basic Medical Sciences but also competent professionals in the Technical and Nursing fields.
- Three Ph.D students have successfully cleared their course work and defended their Theses.
- Twenty seven M.Phil students have successfully cleared their course work and defended their Theses.
- One student is awaiting defense of her Thesis.
- Sixteen students have passed their course work and are in the process of completing/starting their research work.
- Five students are undergoing the course work and have started search of literature to find the title for research.
- There is one Ph.D. Student.
Research Projects (Completed & Ongoing)
- Tahir, M., 1961. Some histochemical observations on the major salivary glands of the rat, after pilocarpine and propylthiouracil treatment. M.Phil thesis.
- Tahir, M., 1966. Innervation of the pancreas - an experimental and ultra structural study. Ph.D. thesis.
- Tahir, M., 1970. The innervation of the rat's pancreas. Pakistan J. Zool., 2(1): 1-10.
- Tahir, M., 1979. Medical education in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Proceedings of 4th Saudi Medical Conference, King Faisal University, Dammam pp. 327-333.
- Tahir, M. and Khan, M.A., 1982. Myelin bodies in the rat pancreatic acinar cells. King Abdulaziz University Medical Journal, 2: 15-24.
- Tahir, M., Al-Zendani, A.M. and Mustafa, M.El-Naggar, 1983. Historical background of human development and enlightenment in this field in Koran and Hadith. 8th Saudi Medical Conference Abstracts, King Khalid Military Academy, Riyadh. pp. 253-54.
- Tahir, M. and Al-Zendani, A.M., 1983. Modern concepts of early embryogenesis in light of statements in Koran and Hadith, 8th Saudi Medical Conference Abstracts, King Khalid Military Academy, Riyadh. pp.257.
- The Developing Human, The Clinically Oriented Embryology with Islamic Edition, 1983. Published by Darul Qibla (Contribution in the Islamic Portion)
- Tahir, M., Zahir, F.I. and El-Naggar, M.M., 1985. Possibility of vagal fibers in the sympathetic trunk. Al-Azhar Med. J., 14(3), Part I.
- Zahir, F.I., Tahir, M. and El-Naggar, M.M., 1985. Possibility of vagal fibers in the sympathetic trunk. Al-Azhar Med. J., 14 (4), Part II.
- Noorwali, A.W., Salman, K. and Tahir, M., March, 1985. The role of supportive staff feedback in program evaluation: A report for the Curriculum Review Seminar. KAAU, Jeddah.
- Tahir, M., Salman, K., Mira, S., Noorwali, A.W., March, 1985. Educational resources their evaluation and effects on curriculum implementation and its development at the college of medicine, King Abdulaziz University: A Report for the Curriculum Review Seminar. KAAU, Jeddah.
- Marzouki, Z.M.H., Sukkar, M.Y., Tahir M. & Moursy, A.A., March, 1985. Faculty appraisal of the medical curriculum: a report for the Curriculum Review Seminar. KAAU, Jeddah.
- Islam, S.I., Basalamah, A.H., Tahir, M., & Salman, K., 1985. An appraisal of a medical curriculum after ten years of implementation: a report for the Curriculum Review Seminar. KAAU, Jeddah.
- Zahir, F.I., El-Naggar, M.M. and Tahir, M., 1986. Distribution of alkaline phosphatase in the kidney after ureteric occlusion. Al-Azhar Med. J. 25(6) pp
- El-Naggar, M.M., Elayat, A.A. and Tahir, M., 1990. Ultra structural changes in the kidney following unilateral ureteric occlusion in guinae pigs. E.M.J., 7(11): 644-655.
- Tahir, M., Elayat,A.A., Jalah,S. and El-Naggar, M.M., 1992. Isolated pancreatic islets of the rat: an ultra structural study. Acta Anat., 145: 93-100.
- El-Naggar, M.M., Elayat,A.A., Ardawi, M.S.M. and Tahir,M., 1993. Transplantation of pancreatic islets into the tongue of diabetic rats (abstract). J.Anat., 182(1): 124.
- Tahir, M., Elayat, A.A., Jalah, S. and El-Naggar, M.M., 1993. Ultra structure of the transplanted pancreatic islets of the rat (abstract). J.Anat., 181(1): 124.
- El-Naggar, M.M., Elayat, A.A., Ardawi, M.S.M. and Tahir, M., 1993. Isolated pancreatic islets of the rat: an immunohistochemical and morphometric study. Anat. Rec., 237: 489-497.
- Ahmed A. Elayat, Mostafa M. El-Naggar and Tahir, M., 1995. Immunocytochemical and morphometric study of the rat pancreatic islets. J. Anat., 186: 629-637.
- El-Naggar, M.M., Elayat, A.A., Ardawi, M.S.M. and Tahir, M., 1996. The tongue as a receptive site for pancreatic islet grafts: An immunohistochemical and functional evaluation. Egypt J. Anat., 19(1): 59-79.
- Tahir, M., Nassar, A.N., Zaher, F.I., 2000. Clinical neuroanatomy for medical students Part I first edition published by King Abdulaziz University Press.
- Tahir, M., Nassar, A.N., Zaher, F.I., 2000. Clinical Neuroanatomy for medical students Part II first edition published by King Abdulaziz University Press.
- Tahir, M., El-Naggar, M.M., Alayat, A.A. and Jalah,s., Early ultra structural changes in the pancreatic islets transplanted into the tongue of the rat.
- Tahir, M. et al., 2004. Objective Oriented Post Graduate Programs for M.Phil./ Ph.D. in Basic Medical Sciences and Post Graduate Ph.D. Program in Clinical Sciences
- Barki, W.H. and Tahir, M., 2007. Effects of topical benzalkonium chloride on corneal epithelium. Biomedica., Jul-Dec 23: 65-75.
- Sarah, K., and Tahir, M., 2007. Ginseng Induced Gross Malformations in Albino Mice in Vivo. Biomedica., Jul-Dec 23: 71-75.
- Naveed, A.K., Ali, L, Minhas, L.A., Tahir, M., 2008. Effect of propranolol on prolactin in adult male rats. Pak Armed Forces Med J., 58(1): 51-56.
- Naveed, A.K., Ali, L, Minhas, L.A., Tahir, M., 2007. Effect of propranolol on testosterone in adult rats. International Journal of Pathology, 5(2): 54-57.
- Samaulhaq, Tahir, M. and Lone, K.P., 2008. Age and gender related differences in olfactory bulb glomeruli in human. Biomedica., Jan-Jun24: 12-17.
- Maqbool, A. and Tahir, M., 2008. Corpora amylacea in human cadaveric brain age related differences. Biomedica., Jul-Dec 24: 92-95.
- Khalid, Tahir, M. and Shoro, A.A., 2008. Ginseng induced fetal skeletal malformations. Biomedica., 2008 Jul-Dec 24: 96-98.
- Samaulhaq, Tahir, M. and Lone, K.P., 2008. Age and gender related differences in mitral cells of olfactory bulb. JCPSP., 18(11): 669-673.
- Zehra, U., Tahir, M., and Jaffari, F.H., 2008. Ginkgo biloba induced malformations in kidney of mice: A light microscopic study. Annals of PIMS., 4 (1): 23-30.
- Jafari, F.H., Khilji, S., Zehra, U., Tahir, M., Shoro, A.A. and Minhas, L.A., 2008. Age and gender related differences in human olfactory receptor cells. Annals of PIMS., 4(3): 136-143.
- Sarfraz, R., Tahir, M., and Sami, W., 2008. Presegmental arterial pattern of human kidneys in local population. Ann. Pak. Inst. Med. Sci., (4)4: 212-215.
- Zubair, M., Tahir, M., Sheikh, T.H., Lone, K.P., Samee, W., and Munir, B,. 2009. Prevention of ethambutol induced changes by memantine in optic nerve of rabbit. Biomedica., Jul-Dec 25: 19-23.
- Naseer, U., Tahir, M., Lone, K.P., Samee, W., and Munir, B., 2009. Vitamin a induced teratogenicity of heart in albino mice. Biomedica, Jul-Dec 25: 42-47.
- Bashir, A., Tahir, M., Samee, W., and Munir, B., 2009. Effects of tribulus terrestrison testicular development of immature albino rats. Biomedica, Jul-Dec 25: 63-68.
- Khalid, S., Tahir, M., Mumtaz, F., and Sami, W., 2009. Histological changes in the fetal liver after maternal treatment with panax ginseng. Biomedica, 25: 88-92.
- Rasheed, S., Tahir, M., Sami, W., and Munir, B., 2009. Histological effects of eugenia jambolana seed extract on liver of adult albino rats. J. Ayub Med. Coll. Abbotabad, 21(1): 148-151.
- Butt, S.A, Tahir, M., and Minhas, L.A., Sep, 2009. Endocrinological response of rabbit after exposure of ovaries to diagnostic ultrasound. PAFMJ., 59(3): 259-262.
- Khalid, S., Mumtaz, F., and Tahir, M., 2009. A histological study of parathyroid gland malformation in fetuses with maternal treatment with panax ginseng. The Esculapio(SIMS JOURNAL), 4: 26-29.
- Qureshi, F., Tahir, M., and Sami, W., 2009. Protective role of Vitamin C and E against sodium arsenate induced changes in developing kidney of albino mice. JAMC., 21(4): 63-69.
- Habib-ur-Rehman, M., Mehmood, T., Salim, T., Afzal, N., Ali, N., Iqbal, J., Tahir, M., and Khan, A., 2009. Affect of silymarin on serum level of ALT and GGT in ethanol induced hepatotoxicity in Albino rats. JAMC., 21(4): 73-75.
- Chohan, M.S., Tahir, M., Lone, K.P., Sami, W., and Munir, B., 2010 Paraquat induced hepatotoxicity in Alibno Mice: An Experimental Study. Pakistan J.Zool., 42(1): 69-73.
- Tawakal, N., Tahir, M., and Sami, W., 2010. Cyclosporin induced effects on fetal Kidney in albino mice. JAMC. 22(1): 69-72.
- Jabeen, R., Tahir, M., and Sami, W., 2010. Teratogenic effects of Lead acetate on Kidney. JAMC.,
- Munira, M., Tahir, M., Ashfaq, Q., and Sami, W., 2010. Effects of Annona squamosa leave extract on gross congenital anomalies in diabetic albino rats. PAFMJ. 60(2): 161-166.
- Gulnaz, H., Tahir, M., Munir, B., and Sami, W., 2010. Protective effects of garlic oil on acetaminophen induced nephrotoxcity in male albino rats. Biomedica, Jan-Jun 26: 9-15.
- Zehra, U., Tahir, M., and Lone, K.P., 2010. Ginkgo biloba induced malformations in mice. JCPSP.,
- Zehra, U., Tahir, M., Jaffary, F.H. and Lone, K.P., 2010. Ginkgo biloba effects on mice fetal liver. Int. J. Morphol., 28(3): 765-770.
- Qadir, I., Tahir, M., Lone, K.P., Munir, B. and Sami, W., 2010. Gentamycin Induced Nephrotoxicity in Albino Mice. Biomedica., Jul-Dec 26: 162-165
- Khalid, S., Tahir, M. and Lone, K.P., 2010. Histological Changes in the Fetal Brian of Albino Mouse after Maternal Treatment with Panax ginseng. Pakistan J. Zool., 42(5): 645-650.
- Hayat, N.Q., Tahir, M., Munir, B., Sami, W., 2010. "Effect of Methimazole-induced Hypothyrodisim on the Histological Characteristic of Major Salivary Glands of Albino Rat" JAMC., 22 (3): 22-27.
- Jafari, F.H., Shoro, A.A., Tahir, M., Minhas, L.A. and Khilji, S., 2010. A Histological Study of Bowman's Glands in Human Olfactory Mucosa". PAFMJ., March(1)
- Habib-ur-Rehman, M., Tahir, M., Lone, K.P., 2011. Ethanol Induced Hepatotoxicity in Albino Rats. JCPSP., 21(10): 642-643.
- Chohan, M.S., Zehra, U., Burki, W., Khilji, S., Tahir, M., and Jafari, F. H., 2011. Paraquat induced toxicity in spleen of albino mice. Ann. Pak. Inst. Med. Sci., 7(1): 228-231.
- Rabia, A., Tahir, M., Munir, B. and Sami, W., 2011. Quantitative and qualitative analysis of cadaveric human pinealocytes in various age groups. JCPSP., 21(7): 389-392.
- Khalid, S., Akhtar, U. and Tahir, M., 2012. Panax Ginseng, its Effects on Development of Hair Follicles - An Experimental Study. Biomedica., Jan.-Jun. 28: 18-22
- Abidi, T.S. and Tahir, M., 2012. Preliminary Evidence for Curative Effect of BCG on Chemically Induced Carcinoma of Mammary Gland of Female Albino Rat. Pakistan J. Zool., 44(2): 409-414.
- Naseer, U. and Tahir, M., 2012. Effect of vitamin "A" on fetal kidneys in albino mice: A histological study. Pakistan J. Zool., 44(4): 1045-1050.
- Munira, M., Ashfaq, Q. and Tahir, M., 2012. Protective Effects of Annona Squamosa on Cardiovascular Congenital Anomalies in Streptozotocin Induced Diabetic Albino Rats: Annals of KEMCU. Lahore,
Apr. – Jun. 18 (2): 137-142.
- Qadir, I., Tahir, M., Lone, K.P., Munir, B. and Sami, W., 2011. Protective role of ginseng against gentamicin induced changes in kidney of albino mice. JAMC., 23(4): 53-57.
- Shaista Arshad Jarral, and M., Tahir., 2013. Perinatal Histogenesis of Pancreatic Islet Alpha and Beta Cells in Rat. Pakistan J. Zool., 45(2): 323-329.
SUBMITTED FOR PUBLICATION
- Saad Khilji, and M., Tahir., A histological study of rat olfactory bulb after administration of isoprotereol with special reference to mitral cells. JAMC.,
- Tahrim Ansar, M., Tahir, Lone, K.P. and Bushra Munir, Immunolocalization of aquaporin-10 in apparently healthy non diseased and tuberculous human small intestine. JCPSP.,
- Hina Siddiqi, M., Tahir, and Lone, K.P., Variations in Circle of Willis and Their Correlation with Hemorrhagic Stroke in Adults.
- Naveed Akhtar, M., Tahir, and Lone, K.P., Teratogenic Effects of Bupivacaine on Heart and Kidney in Albino Mice.
- Dr. Samar Ashraf , The Effect of Monosodium Glutamate on The Purkinje Cells of the Adult Rat Cerebellum.
- Dr. Nadia Majeed, Effect of Nigella Sativa Extract on Amphotericin-b Induced Nephrotoxicity in Albino Mice.