Biochemistry is such a versatile field that it has been in ever increasing state of excitement for decades with its seemingly never ending stream of almost incredible discoveries in the past three decades. Consequently, it has revolutionized the field of modern medicine, molecular biology and genetics. Now it is considered to be a diversified field because there is no hard line between these disciplines as there once was. At UHS, biochemistry department was established in September 2004, offering M.Phil and M.Phil leading to PhD programmes with the aim to create an integral link between basic medical sciences and clinical sciences.
- Create new standards in high quality teaching and research in the area of biochemistry and related fields.
- Our aim is to bring students to a level of understanding from which they could move on to many of the new techniques in biochemical sciences.
- Promote research interaction with public agencies and industry though the application of biochemistry in human medicine.
- Organize symposia, seminars, lectures, audiovisual conferences and workshops in relevant disciplines.
- To provide state of the art trained teachers for Medical Institutions.
Specializations: Area of teaching, training and research:
«« Go to Top »»
Facilities and Equipments
The department has sufficient space for postgraduate work in the concerned fields. Currently the laboratory is being equipped with modern research facilities for DNA studies, immunoassay, ELISA, electrophoresis, atomic absorption spectrophotometer, HPLC. Bench top centrifuge with refrigeration, incubator, thermal cycler up gradable to real time PCR system, freezer (ultra low temp), analytical balance, bench top centrifuge for microtubes, water distillation system, gamma counter.
Research Activities in Biochemistry
Research Projects Completed
In last five years following research projects had been completed in Biochemistry department;
Current/on going Research Projects
- Association of hyper homocysteinemia with coronary artery disease independent of traditional risk factors
- Comparison of CEA and CA 19-9 with CA 72-4 in patients with gastrointestinal carcinomas in local population.
- Correlation of serum ferritin and serum transferring receptor/Ferritin ratio with oxidized low density lipoproteins in ischemic heart disease.
- Serum levels of HER-2/neu and estrogen in women with carcinoma of the breast and their correlation with body mass index.
- Correlation of serum adiponectin and serum lipoprotein (a) in coronary artery disease.
- Correlation of serum leptin and P-selectin in coronary artery disease.
- Serum Zinc and copper concentrations in patients with carcinoma of prostate.
- Correlation of serum zinc levels with aqueous humor and zinc levels in patients with senile cataract.
- Correlation of plasma Selenium and osteopontin concentrations in patients with carcinoma of prostate.
- Glutathione and G6PD in Oxidative stress in metabolic syndrome.
- Role of Glutamic acid, Iron, and Homocysteine in neonates with hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy.
- Molecular analysis of GALT gene in patients with Galactosemia
Following research projects are going on;
- Molecular and genetic basis of anterior segment of eye anomalies.
- Studies on protein glycation and its inhibition in vitro.
- Molecular genetic studies in families with Autosomal Recessive Primary Microcepahly.
- Lead levels in association with various biochemical parameters in city traffic warden of Lahore.
- Assessment of DNA damage by Comet assay in traffic wardens of Lahore due to lead exposure.
- Serum Selenium levels are associated with anemia in school Children.
- TNF-alpha gene polymorphism (-308 G/A) in acne vulgaris patients.
Abdul Hannan, Kanwal Rauf, Muhammad Ikram Ullah, Mehwish Raja, Muhammad Usman
Qamar, Romeeza Tahir.I and Mehwish Saba (2012). Inhibitory effect of aqueous garlic (Allium
sativum) extract against clinical isolates of Salmonella typhi. (Accepted in AJM R)
A. A. Albajali, A. H. Nagi, M. Shahzad, M. Ikram Ullah and S. Hussain (20 II). Effect of Allium
sativa L. on pancreatic p. cells in comparison to Nigella sativa L. in streptozotocin induced
diabetic rats. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research Vol. 5(24); 5779-5784.
Kousar R, Hassan MJ, Khan B, Basit S, Mahmood S, Mir A, Ahmad W, Ansar M. (2011). Mutations in WDR62 gane in Pakistani families with autosomal recessive primary microcephaly. BMC Neurol. Oct 1;11:119.
- Mahmood S, Ahmad W and MJ Hassan (2011). Autosomal Recessive Primary Microcephaly (MCPH): Clinical Manifestations, Genetic Heterogeneity and Mutation Continuum. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases., 6;39: 1-15.
- Abdul Aziz Mastoi, Bikha Ram Devrajani, Syed Zulfiquar Ali Shah, Qasim Rohopoto, Sikander Ali Memon, Marya Baloch, Ghulam Ali Qureshi, Waqas Sami (2010). Metabolic investigations in patients with hepatitis B and C. World J Gastroenterol., 7; 16(5): 603-607
- Sadia Mahmood, M. Zamir Ahmad, Mansoor Ghani, M. Azam Khan Usman Mahmood, Iram Fayyaz and Shama Akram (2010). Decreased Serum Zinc Levels In Patients With Senile Cataract. Biomedica., 26: 5-8.
- Anbreen M. Choudhary, M. Zameer Ahmed and Mazhar S. Choudhary (2010). Comparison of CEA and CA 19-9 with CA 72-4 in patients with upper gastrointestinal carcinomas in local population. Biomedica., 26: 16-19.
- Ali A, Ikramullah M, Asif S, Abrar M, Jamal A and Jaffri S.A (2010). Evaluation of lipopetide (Surfactin) Production by Bacillus subtilis. Biomedica.; 26(1): 34-38.
- Iram Fayyaz, Zamir Ahmed, Shama Akram, Sadia Mehmood, Mansoor Ghani, Imran Shah (2009). Elevated lipoprotein (a) levels seen in patients with coronary artery disease. Biomedica., 25 (2):120-22.
Salma Iqbal Naik, Saira Sagheer, Syed Imran Ali Shah and M. Zamir Ahmad. (2009). Intra Cast consanguineous marriages, Major Factor in spread of Thalassemia in our Society. ESCULAPIO. Journal of Services Isnstitue of Medical Sciences, Lahore. Valume 05 No.01 (April - June): 30-33.
- M. Usman Tahir, Salma Iqbal Naik, Salma Rehman and M. Shahzad (2009). A Quantitative Analysis for the Toxic Pesticide Residues in Marketed Fruits and Vegetables in Lahore, Pakistan. Biomedica., 23:171 -174.
- Sobia Imtiaz, M. Zamir Ahmad, Salma Naik, M. Yasir, Syed M. A. Shah, and Waqas Sami (2009). Comparison of iron stores in healthy individuals and patients with ischaemic heart disease. Biomedica., 25: 188-190.
- Sadia Qureshi, M. Zamir Ahmad., Zafar Ali Ch., Muhammad Tahir Aziz, Sadia Zafar (2008). Serum Levels of HER2/NEU ECD in Women with Carcinoma of the Breast and its Correlation with Body Mass Index. Journal of Allama Iqbal Medical College (JAIMC) Lahore. Volume 6 No.2, (July - December): 20-26.
- Ali Qureshi G, Mastoi AA, Devrajani BR, Memon SA, Chippa MA and Parvez SH (2008). Iron and trace metals abnormalities in diabetic patients with hypertension & liver cirrhosis. Biogenic Amines., 22 (3): 291–15.
Dr. Haiba Kaul
M. Phil., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor & Head of Department
Dr. Nasir Mahmood
Prof. Zamir Ahmad
M.B.B.S., M. Phil
Professor of Biochemistry