Hematology deals with the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases of blood and bone marrow as well as of the immunologic, haemostatic (blood clotting) and vascular systems. Because of the nature of blood, the science of hematology profoundly affects the understanding of many diseases.
The Department of Haematology, is an integral part of the basic medical sciences division at the University of Health Sciences, with a strong interdisciplinary approach, focuses on developing and delivering quality postgraduate programs. The Department provides an excellent environment for postgraduate studies, attempts to integrate molecular,and cellular approaches to Hematological studies. The Department offers MPhil programme leading to PhD degree.
Specializations: areas of teaching, training and research
Red cell disorders including
Benign and malignant White cell disorders
Stem cell transplantation
Hemostasis and Coagulation disorders
Teaching is based on:-
The department has a well equipped laboratory for postgraduate practical training and research work in Haematology
Linkages will be developed with foreign institutions both for collaborative research and for short term training of personnel in specialized techniques and procedures in the field of Haematology and Transfusion Medicine.
Submitted Research Papers
- Antithrombin III as a Marker of Fibrosis in chronic Hepatitis C.
- Levels of platelet derived Microparticles and soluble P- selectin in patients of myocardial infarction.
- Frequency of Aspirin Resistance in Patients with coronary artery disease in Pakistan.
- Vkorc1 Gene Polymorphism (-1639g>A) and Warfarin Resistance in Patients on Warfarin Therapy.
- Mutations of FANCA gene in local population.
- Mutations of FANCC gene (IVS4+4 A>T, Del 322G, R548X) in local population.
- Effect of PAS on different in vitro parameters of random donor platelet concentrates during 10 days storage.
- Typing and Sub typing of vWD in local patients.
Completed Research Projects
- Serum Hepcidin levels in Thalassemia Patients.
- Serum Transferrin Receptors Levels in End Stage Renal Disease.
- The frequency of BCR-ABL fusion gene in ALL in children and adults.
Ongoing Research Projects
- Prevalence of Monoclonal Gammopathy of Undetermined Significance (MGUS) in Elderly.
- Intron 1 inversion in Hemophilia A
- Intron 22 inversion in Hemophilia A patients.
- The frequency of TEL-AML1 fusion gene in ALL in children and adults.
- Single Nucleotide Polymorphism of P2RY12 and CYP3A5 Genes in Clopidogrel Resistant Ischemic Heart Disease Patients.
- Mutations of FANCG gene (313G?T and 307+1G?T) in patients of Fanconi Anemia in Local Population.
- Role of CYP2C19 and PON-1 Polymorphisms in Clopidogrel Resistant Patients of Ischemic Heart Disease.
- Mutations of FANCA gene (c.1115-1118delTTGG in exon 13 and c.3788-3790 Del TCT in exon 38) in patients of Fanconi anaemia in local population.
- Comparison of Activated Partial Thromboplastin Time and Anti-Factor Xa Assay in Patients on Unfractionated Heparin Therapy.