The department of microbiology is an essential part of basic medical sciences at University of Health Sciences. It consists of faculty with expertise in all disciplines of medical Microbiology i.e. Bacteriology, Parasitology and Mycology. The courses in microbiology are designed to equip the students with state of the art knowledge, practical skills relevant to medical Microbiology. It is envisaged that these efforts will go a long way to produce medical teachers of high quality with strong hands on experience and necessary skills to initiate and carry out teaching as well as research of internationally accepted standards.
- Full time 3 years course for PhD programme in Medical Microbiology.
- Full time 2 years course for M. Phil Medical Laboratory Sciences programme in Medical Microbiology.
- Full time 2 years course for M. Phil programme in Medical Microbiology.
- The course in Medical Microbiology is designed to train the students in four major disciplines i.e. Bacteriology, Virology, Parasitology and Mycology.
- The course in Medical Microbiology also covers Anaerobic Microbiology, Food Microbiology, Water Microbiology and Control of Hospital Acquired Infections.
- The course specially emphasizes on most prevalent diseases in the country i.e. Typhoid, Tuberculosis, Cholera etc.
- Dental graduates are trained with special emphasis on Oral Microbiology.
- The whole course consists of intensive practical training to make the students competent diagnostic microbiologists and confident teachers.
- For the 2nd year, a research topic selected by the student (and duly approved by Advanced Studies &Research Board) to indulge in and a thesis is submitted for defense before an appropriate committee of local and foreign examiners. Throughout the course, the student is subjected to regular internal evaluation.
- At the successful end of 2 year M.Phil program the bright and deserving candidates may be offered to undergo one or more years of advance research of his/her topic to be eligible for the award of PhD degree; subject the same is approved by a team of highly qualified and reputable teachers/researchers in the field, including at least two external examiners from technically advanced countries.
- Department of Microbiology also trained medical technologists for Masters Program (MT) in Microbiology.
- To provide a platform that encourages critical thinking, ethical responsibility, professional learning and mutual cooperation amongst the staff and students. The main idea is to produce future microbiologists and teachers.
- To facilitate its students in performing research of national and international significance and to provide them with the infrastructure and the technical and intellectual support they require achieving these goals.
- To operate efficiently within the University Management structures.
- To find ways to involve local industry for Pharmaceutical research.
Department of Microbiology is fully equipped with the following state of the art equipment with adequate quantity of consumables and reagent kits.
- BACTEC 9120 for Blood culture
- BACTEC MGIT 960 for detection and susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Automated Media Preparation & Pouring station.
- Autoclave (Astell UK)
- Biological safety cabinet Class II.
- Laminar Flow Cabinet.
- Stomach for Food Microbiology
- Ultra low Temperature (-80°C) Freezer for long term preservation of Microbiological Isolates.
- Hot Oven
- Water Bath
- pH Meter
- Digital Balance
- Double Door Laboratory Purpost Refrigerator
- Deep Freezer -20°C
- Water Sterility Testing Unit (Millipore)
- Establishment of Salmonella Reference Center.
- Establishment of Honey Research Unit.
- Establishment of Reference Center for Tuberculosis.
- Provincial/National Quality Control Center.
- Reference Center for Cholera.
- Clonal Biotyping of clinical isolates.
- Molecular Medical Microbiology.
- Establishment of Parasitology Section.