With the formal approval of establishing a Medical University at Lahore to meet the much delayed and needed demands of province of Punjab, this university was inaugurated by the President of Pakistan in October, 2002. The present already built up building has a floor area of about 82 thousands sft. Previously housing Institute of Nursing and Health Sciences was allocated to the university by the honourable President of Pakistan. The total land area of the entire complex is about 5 acres located in the close vicinity of the University of Punjab established in 1882 and Sheikh Zayed Medical Complex functioning since 1986. At present the university is situated in the hub of Lahore metropolitan city. The area is further being expanded to meet the minimum requirements of the Higher Education Commission.
The university has an autonomous status besides its overall control of Punjab Provincial Govt. It has its own board of governors headed by a chairman and with eminent members of medical profession, learned intellectuals, industry, management, judicial and journalist. Its financial requirements are either met by provincial Govt., donations both public and private, Higher Education Commission and one time grant of provincial health department, through annual budget.
The present location of the university is ideal. It is centrally located and has all types of transport facilities. The utility services are already available and further being augmented. It has its own Library, Examination Halls, Secrecy Hall, Auditorium for 400 guests, Conference rooms and Laboratories of basic sciences and other medical disciplines and well knit IT centre. IT centre is further being connected to affiliated Medical Colleges at Rawalpindi, Faisalabad, Lahore, Multan and Bahawalpur and other affiliated Colleges.