Forensic science is one of the emerging fields of Biomedical Sciences. In addition to meaningful interaction with other departments of basic and clinical sciences within UHS and its affiliated colleges and institutions, linkages are being developed with foreign institutions both for collaborative research and for short term training of students in specialized techniques and procedures. Department is meant to develop research programs which will be predominately local and regional problems oriented.
The mission of the Department of Forensic Sciences at University of Health Sciences is to provide our students with an excellent scientific education within a Biomedical and legal context from forensic faculty who are practitioners and researchers in their respective areas of expertise and to prepare our students for careers either in forensic science or enable them to go on to further education in other scientific specialties.
The Department is offering M. Phil (Forensic Medicine & Toxicology) and PhD (Forensic Science) programs [ Download Ph.D Admission Form ] with the objectives that are consistent with mission of University of Health Sciences, Lahore. Students should be able to:
- Exhibit an orientation in professional values and concepts of ethics appropriate to the area of forensic science and law.
- Demonstrate competency in performing pathological and biological analysis.
- Demonstrate the acquisition of skills and experiences in the application of basic forensic science concepts and of specialty knowledge to problem solving.
- Enable the graduates to present his research findings effectively at National/ International forums.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and application for the issue specific to forensic sciences.
- Understand the important procedures and applicability of the general principals of forensic medicine, toxicology and biology.
- Serve as a future teacher, trainer, researcher and leader in the field of medico-legal faculty. They must also be able to offer technically competent consultancy services to the health, home and law departments in connection with medico-legal work, crime investigation process and courts.
These learning objectives will be measured through the successful completion of coursework, laboratory experiences, exams, papers and research thesis.
The department is equipped with purpose built laboratory with quality equipment for research in vast areas of forensic sciences.
- 12 students of M. Phil. are in the process of completing/starting their research work.
- 4 students are undergoing the course work and has started search of literature to find the title for research.
- 5 students of M. Phil have started their coursework and literature review for their research.
- There are 4 Ph.D. Student undergoing coursework and literature review for research.
- Three students are currently working as internees in the Department.
- Establishment of Forensic Serology and Toxicology Lab
- Extension of working collaboration with different national institutes
- Periodic self-assessment of the subjects will be introduced
- Self-learning shall be emphasized and methodology shall be established to introduce
- Problem-based applied research
- More frequent meetings of stakeholder and workshops