Medical Education is the most rapidly evolving discipline recently. It�s relevance to global accreditations, educational standardization and national perspectives is fully acknowledged. Keeping in view the escalating need of the discipline of �Health Professions Education�, University of Health Sciences Lahore established the Department of Medical Education in the year 2004. The department aims for excellence in medical teaching and learning since its inception and provides educational resources and training, professional services and maintains active research involvement across the health and allied sciences. The key objectives of this department are :
- Development and updating of Courses of syllabi / Curricula of undergraduate and post graduate degree programmes.
- Professional development is provided through workshops, teaching sessions, grand rounds and faculty development in medical education.
- Implementation of innovative educational methodologies including problem-based learning and evaluation and assessment strategies including OSPE, OSCE and TOACS.
- Continuing medical education through selection of professionals from affiliated medical institutes in the relevant discipline and planning and organizing the interactive sessions. Feedback is taken from the participants for quality enhancement.
- Promoting research culture at both under and post graduate levels. The Department of medical education ascertains that basic and clinical sciences research conducted within the jurisdiction of UHS, meets the highest scientific, ethical and legal standards and must comply with the HEC guidelines and the standards and regulations proposed by PMDC. This objective is achieved by making sure that the research synopses have undergone the appropriate evaluation process through the Synopsis Review Committee for postgraduate disciplines.
- Professional audit of faculty of UHS and Student�s monthly performance evaluation. The data from these activities is subjected to statistical analysis for further line of action.
- International University Linkage Development in terms of academic, research and student/faculty exchange programmes in collaboration with Foreign Universities.
- Student�s Counseling Cell in which students are invited to share and be helped for their academic or personal problems. Recommendations thereafter are forwarded to the competent authority for final disposal.
- The quality control and assurance in the medical education (the foremost services of a newly established medical / health university) is imperative. This will bring more recognition of our degrees across the world and our professionals will compete their counter parts confidently beyond the boundaries
- Teaching Strategies (in Lectures, Problem Based Learning, Large Group Learning, Tutorials and Small Group Learning).
- Modern Examination Systems Like OSCE, OSPE, TOACS etc.
- Constructing Standardized MCQs/SEQs.
- Evaluation of Theory Papers.
- Integrated Medical Education
- Quality assurance in Medical Education
- To inculcate and promote research culture in the profession